What is Flazzle Pro?
Flazzle Pro is a language flashcard program (Windows NT/2k/XP) which has support for most common languages, currently over 160!
- Can input most languages, with excellent support
- 50+ Onscreen Keyboards (Georgian, Gujarati, Arabic...)
- 50+ Profiles for Accent Selectors (French, Hungarian, Italian...)
- 40+ Character Palettes (Thai, Tibetan, Linear B...)
- 80+ Alphabet selectors (Korean, Hebrew, Azerbaijani...)
- 20+ By Sound Inputs (Latin to Malayalam...)
- Specific inputs for Chinese, Hiragana, Katakana and Vietnamese
- Uses the academically accepted Leitner learning method
- Networked, which means you can use it at schools and universities
- Record and play high-quality sounds using a microphone
- Uses text-to-speech so you can learn proper pronunciation
- Character popups show you the meanings of virtually any character
- Supports more than 30 common file formats including delimited text
Accepted Learning Method
Uses the Leitner method, and has 5 'boxes' depending on how well the word is known. Words that are correct are moved one to the next box, and words that are wrong go to the start of the first box. Words are scheduled depending on how well known they are. Words are also 'drawn' from the pack to break down flashcards into smaller parts.
Networked and Multi-User
Seamlessly integrates with FTP/HTTP, which means just about anyone with a website can share vocab lists, right within the program. Also available is a secure server, which supports for user groups (admin, power, restricted and anonymous), can set category permissions and flash vocab, keeping track of progress in a central location.
Multimedia and Text-To-Speech
Sound (records high-quality audio that's around 20 times smaller than the original), media (uses the best media control for that platform, for example ActiveShow or Quicktime, codecs need to be installed separately). Text-To-Speech support is also available for Microsoft SAPI4 (Agent) and SAPI5.
Inbuilt 'popups' which show you the name, type and meaning (if relevant) for a character. Cantonese/Mandarin popups show the relevant Pinyin information from Unihan, Japanese popups show the On/Kun reading from Kanjidic, and character information from the Unicode character database for all others.
Supports more than 30 file formats including Edict, CEDict, JFC, JQuickTrans, CQuickTrans, Wadoku and a delimited text import wizard with automatic detection of encodings, delimiters and text qualifiers. Please see here for more information.
Input Outside Flazzle
Enter any language that Flazzle supports in programs other than Flazzle, for example Microsoft Word. Either copy or drag and drop, your decision.
Wordlist archive built right into the program. Users can either use Flazzle's list archive, or another archive (from another server). Users can submit files using the built-in wizard.
Wordlists are loaded on-demand using the Firebird SQL Server, so even wordlists of a few million entries can be flashed (useful when using dictionaries). It also means that wordlists can successfully be flashed even over slow connections.
Wrong characters are underlined, and users are given visual feedback whether each word is right, wrong or there are too many words.