Content is king. Context is queen. Together, they will rule your web. To make it as simple as possible for users to find the desired content on portals, typically "related content" is shown in the context of a given topic. As a result context dependent contact information, related products, further news, links and downloads can be better found by users and visitors. Managed metadata in Microsoft SharePoint enables editors to centrally define relationships between SharePoint items and documents by tagging it using enterprise taxonomies and provides a very flexible way, to display related content using the Related Content Web Part for SharePoint. The Web Part is also available as part of the Knowledge Management Suite for SharePoint.
With the Related Content Web Part for SharePoint out-of-the-box dynamic web sites with search-driven applications like product- and services catalogues, information sites etc. and can be built:
* Context-dependent dynamic display of related services, solutions and other topics
* Linking of accessories, related products, product groups, spare parts
* Assignment of documentation for services and solutions, e.g. data sheets
* Downloads for given topics, e.g. files like Word, Excel or ZIP archives
* Customer references assigned to services and products
* Current adresses and context-driven contact information
* Related tasks of a given topic
* Related dates and events of a given topic
Other features & benefits:
* Consistent linking of related content automatically during runtime:
The SharePoint Related Content Web Part makes it very easy to ensure consistency of the complex linking network because all linking is done automatically during runtime, with respect to publishing timeframes, access rights etc.
* Completely category / search driven pages:
As an option the web part allows to build completely category driven pages and sites.
* Easy to setup: The content can be created completely context driven or by setting fixed tags / categories for the content to display.
* Flexible template-based output:
The output is rendered by XSLT templates that can be easily adapted. The output can be sortet by title, publishing date or type of information.
* Includes external data as well: You may also include any external data sources to tag and use with the SharePoint Knowledge Management and Social Networking features without any restrictions with the help of the Business Data List Connector for SharePoint.
* 100% SharePoint 2010 / 2013 technology: Completely based on SharePoint 2010 / 2013 Enterprise Metadata Management API.
* Seemless integration: The Web Part works perfectly together with other SharePoint Knowledge Management Suite components.
Visitors can better find the desired information - a great advantage for SharePoint based web sites in intranet, extranet and Internet.
The Related Content Web Part is available for all SharePoint Server 2010 / 2013 on-premise editions, not for SharePoint Foundation.